From the Community Food Security Coalition:
August is a GREAT Time to Advocate for Child Nutrition!
August’s congressional recess (now through Labor Day) offers important opportunities for constituents to speak directly to and with lawmakers while they are home. Members of Congress often use this month-long break to take note of what is happening in their Districts and to identify priorities for upcoming legislation.
A quality school lunch or breakfast for our nation’s children is more important now than ever before and your support is needed for a strong Child Nutrition bill in 2009. We need to restore the right of all children to access good food in school.
Our top legislative priorities for CNR are:
1. Provide $50 Million Mandatory Funding for Farm to School Programs
2. Improve Access to Child Nutrition Programs and Increase Reimbursement Rates
3. Strengthen Nutrition Standards for School Meal Programs and Competitive Foods
These changes will only be realized with sufficient funding, and members of Congress need to hear that this is a priority for their constituents!
The message is simple: Ask your Congressperson to support $20 billion over five years for Child Nutrition Reauthorization. Congress needs to find funding for this critical issue, just as funds have been released for other urgent needs for America’s families. Without this investment, programs like Farm to School will not be possible!
Summer Opportunities to Engage Your Members of Congress
- Call or Visit Your Congressperson’s District Office: Many Members set aside time during the August recess to meet with constituents and constituent groups. To call or set up an appointment, go to your Member’s website and contact the District office directly.
- Get CNR into the Debate: Town Hall meetings and Community Forums offer great opportunities for advocates to elevate anti-hunger and nutrition program priorities with elected officials. Go to your Member of Congress’ website to see when and where they will be hosting their next constituent meeting. Even if the topic is not CNR bring it up!
- Agricultural State Fairs are also great venues to interact with elected officials. Your elected officials will be attending these fairs during August and September. Click here for a calendar of state fairs
For additional August recess ideas and materials please visit the CFSC Policy Website.
Thank you for being willing to take action on funding for CNR!
For more information and support, contact Megan Elsener Lott at [email protected].
Thanks to the Food Research Action Center and School Food FOCUS for their contributions to this alert.