Registration is now closed for 2022 Summer School. We will post the 2022 Curriculum on our website later this year. In the meantime: See 2018, 2020, and 2021 Summer School Resources.
Rise Up! Summer School is a free, 3-month political education and leadership development program offered by Community Alliance for Global Justice, where we create space to collectively develop tools and analysis to strengthen the global food sovereignty movement.
This year’s online program is:
Future Paradigms: Reimagining our Food System through the Lens of Food Sovereignty
June – August 2022
This year, our theme is Future Paradigms: Reimagining our Food System through the Lens of Food Sovereignty. Throughout the three months we meet, we will explore the seven pillars of food sovereignty by drawing on the victories and struggles of CAGJ’s partners. This will inform our vision of what alternative food systems look like, and how to get there through collective action.
This year, summer school asks us:
- What does Food Sovereignty look like in practice, in the US and globally?
- Why is it so important to move towards Food Sovereignty as the model for a healthier food system?
- In what ways can we tune in to our own unique skills to contribute to the fight for food sovereignty as part of a collective?
As part of Summer School, we will:
- Work our way through an assigned set of readings, videos, articles, art, music, etc.
- Have a monthly webinar with some of CAGJ’s partners to discuss their work and how it connects to food sovereignty and liberation.
- Have a monthly guided discussion session to unpack the webinars and assigned materials.
- Have an optional social gathering session and/or in-person field trip to deepen connection between participants.
- Work on reflective prompts to better understand our role within our social change ecosystems and move ourselves to action.
Monthly breakdown of themes, including which of the 7 pillars of Food Sovereignty we will focus on each month:
June: Food Sovereignty as our framework and overall vision.
- Partners: Familias Unidas por la Justicia Farmworker Union
- Pillar focus: Values food producers, localized food systems
July: De-commodification of food, “culturally appropriate” food and Food Sovereignty
- Partners: Block Corporate Salmon campaign and Indigenous partners
- Pillar focus: Food is Sacred, Builds knowledge and skills, Works with nature
August: Food Security vs. Food Sovereignty and corporate control of the food system
- Partners: AGRA watch and our African Food Sovereignty partners
- Pillar Focus: Puts control locally, focuses on food for people
Registration closes Tuesday May 31st. Please sign up using this form: tinyurl.com/2022SSregister
Monthly webinars and reading materials will be available to the public on our website.
In order to create a cohesive learning community, we ask participants to commit to attending at least two discussion sessions, to deepen your involvement in CAGJ during 2022, and to come with a readiness to learn and have fun while doing it!
Monthly webinars will be on Tuesdays: June 14, July 12, and August 9 from 6:00-8:00 PM Pacific.
Discussion sessions will occur Tuesday, June 21, July and August 16 from 6:00 – 8:00 PM Pacific.
For ease of scheduling during the busy summer months, we put together a Summer School Calendar with these meetings blocked in (compatible with Google Calendar).
Email [email protected] to reach co-coordinators Deb and Rachel.
Past Iterations of Summer School:
To Learn More
Please email Heather ([email protected]) if you have any questions.