Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School 2018
Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School is an anti-oppression leadership development program exploring food sovereignty movements situated in our local contexts. We prioritize perspectives and voices of people of color and queer activists in the materials and discussions. By deepening our connections and building community, we hope to create a safe space to explore learning edges and encourage newer activists to rise up in leadership.
The 3-month program will delve into our campaign-related themes of African food sovereignty, Farmworker solidarity, and Northwest Native Resistance to GE Salmon through community discussions and site visits. Perspectives of people of color will be prioritized in the materials and discussions as we focus on anti-oppression and intersectional analysis. We will develop the leadership of members involved in the organizing and facilitation and hope to create a safe space to encourage newer activists to explore learning edges and rise up in leadership.
- Free and open to all!
- Rise Up! CAGJ Summer School sessions meet twice in June, July, and August
- Potluck Reading Group Discussions: 2nd Tuesdays 6:30-8:30pm (accessible location in Seattle TBD)
- Field Trips: Weekends TBD (during day)
- Share the Facebook event!
- Share the flyer! RiseUp Summer School Flyer
JUNE: African Food Sovereignty
- Tuesday June 12 Potluck Reading Group Discussion
- Saturday June 23 Field Trip to Gates Foundation Visitor Center in Seattle
JULY: Farmworker Solidarity
- Tuesday July 10 Potluck Reading Group Discussion
- (TENTATIVE) Saturday July 21 Field Trip to meet with Familias Unidas por la Justicia farmworker union in Burlington, WA
AUGUST: Northwest Native Resistance to GE Salmon
- Tuesday August 14 Potluck Discussion
- (TENTATIVE) Saturday August 11 Field Trip TBD
In order to create a cohesive learning community, we ask participants to commit to attending at least two discussion sessions and at least two field trips, to deepen your involvement in CAGJ during 2018, and to come with a readiness to learn and have fun while doing it!
Updates and a final schedule will be announced to registered participants and via CAGJ listservs, newsletter and website.
Please email Simone (email@example.com) if you have any questions.