SLEE! 2021 Table Captains
Thank you for considering joining us as a Table Captain at CAGJ’s 15th annual SLEE! Gala and 20th Anniversary Celebration on October 9th, 2021.
Although we dearly miss gathering in person to share community and good food, we will be holding SLEE 2021 online to prioritize our health. Our annual community-based fundraiser, whether held online or in-person, relies on our cherished Table Captains. We are committed to providing you and your guests with the information, connections, and experiences that have made SLEE such a powerful event year after year.
As a Table Captain for SLEE!, you are an important part of our work to build the local movement for food justice and food sovereignty! Table Captains are recognized in the program and on CAGJ’s website.
Please feel free to contact lisa(at)cagj.org if you have any questions or would like further information.
How will you be a Table Captain for Virtual SLEE?
You will still be honored as a Table Captain! CAGJ relies on our Table Captains to help make SLEE! a success, even though we cannot meet in person. Your support makes it possible for CAGJ to continue organizing for food justice.
Our current plan for Table Captains is remarkably similar to what you would do for an in-person gathering: bring people to the ‘table’! We need your help to ask people to set aside this time and join with us, to share stories and experiences despite the physical distance between us all. With a virtual setting, you’re able to invite as many guests as you would like, connecting us to new supporters and donors who believe, as you do, in showing solidarity with those who need it the most.
Elements of virtual SLEE will be held over the course of several days, such as the Silent Auction, to allow for ongoing engagement.
During the live event on October 9, the Keynote will be live-streamed on Zoom. This year Table Captains joining their guests virtually will have the option of visiting each other in a break-out room during SLEE! We encourage Table Captains who are able to host dinner parties in their homes to watch SLEE together.
STEP ONE: Think of friends, family, and colleagues to join you who believe in movement-building, international solidarity, food and climate justice, and Fair Trade – and who might want to learn more about CAGJ and enjoy an inspiring night featuring local grassroots organizations and an incredible keynote speaker. You can invite as many guests as you would like! Since the event will be accessible from anywhere, you can also invite people who might be interested who live out-of-state. We would absolutely love to have people join us from across the country and the globe!
STEP TWO: Invite your guests! Sample email invitations are at the end of this document, and the ticketing link is available on our website. Remember that many people take a bit of follow-up; if you haven’t heard from a guest within a week or two, give them a call or send a note to personally invite them to join you at your virtual ‘table’. If public health guidelines and space allows, we encourage you to gather in your homes! NOTE: If guests are purchasing their own tickets, please inform them to indicate that you are their Table Captain during the online ordering process.
If they are sending a check to CAGJ, please note our address: 1322 S. Bayview St., Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98144.
STEP THREE: Let us know how you will pay for your table.
- Option 1: Pay $400 – $1,000 up front to CAGJ (individual tickets are $40-$100). If you have more than 10 guests participating in SLEE, please consider increasing your fundraising goal accordingly! Table Captains provide essential seed money so CAGJ can cover the costs of organizing the gala. Please remember that the SLEE! Gala raises a significant portion of our annual budget each year. When considering the sliding scale, we ask you to please give graciously and accept our utmost thanks! Some Table Captains choose to be reimbursed by their guests, others don’t – that’s up to you. Please mail your check (so we don’t get charged a 3% credit card processing fee!), made out to CAGJ, to 1322 S. Bayview St., Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98144.
- Option 2: Pay $40 – $100 for your own ticket and ask your guests to purchase their tickets individually.
STEP FOUR: Send your completed guest list, including names and email addresses, to lisa(at)cagj.org by WED October 6, 2021. We promise we will not share guests’ email addresses; we want to be able to send a reminder to all guests before the event with important details.
STEP FIVE: CAGJ will email you and your guests to provide login information to the live-streamed portions of the event!
- This email will explain the flow of the evening and any other details you need to enjoy SLEE.
What happens if I can’t get enough people to come?
If you are unable to fill your virtual table, no worries!
What will my guests get to do at SLEE?
- Eat delicious Fair Trade and locally sourced foods, if you are able to gather in person during SLEE!
- Meet and engage online with fellow activists, organizations, farmers, and food workers who are passionate about food justice, Fair Trade, and strengthening local economies everywhere! Chat with people in the live stream or during break-out sessions.
- Be inspired by dynamic speakers and presenters from the Food Justice movement.
- Bid on Silent Auction items donated by local businesses and community members.
- Take action for justice in our local and global food system!
How will I be acknowledged?
- We would like to thank you with delicious fair-trade ingredients for SLEE dinner! Included will be an entire SALMON from Loki Fish Co., local greens, and possibly wine. These dinner ingredients will be available for pick up the day of SLEE!
- We want you to know how much we appreciate you! As a Table Captain, you will be recognized on the event website and in the live-streamed event presentation. Additionally, if you are able to give at the $1,000 level and pay for your entire table beforehand, we will give you a digital quarter page ad in our event program.
What does your donation support?
When you support CAGJ, you are helping to strengthen the global Food Sovereignty movement. Please see our latest annual report for an overview of the many ways CAGJ organized in response to the crises of 2020. And so far in 2021, our organizing is only getting stronger!
- Responding to vaccine apartheid: CAGJ was among the first to ring the alarm about the barrier to access that TRIPS would create. We were able to jump into action (hosting rallies, promoting material over social media and listservs) because of our dedicated, long-term AGRA Watch research.
- Building the grassroots movement to protect wild salmon: In 2021, as GMO salmon heads to our plates despite legal and grassroots opposition, CAGJ is ramping up our involvement with the Block Corporate Salmon coalition.
- Releasing Our Food, Our Right: Recipes for a New Normal Zine: We’re thrilled to present the third edition of CAGJ’s book with submissions from close to 40 artists, writers, cooks, and activists. We believe that creative projects are essential to movement building and are proud to be releasing such an inspirational, artistic collection of pieces to inspire hope and action for Food Sovereignty.
- Rise Up! Summer School 2021: Being offered for the 3rd time, Summer School is CAGJ’s free 3-month political education and leadership development program for community members. This year, we will dig into the root of movement building — creating more space for joy!
- We are laying the foundation for CAGJ’s next 20 years, which will be guided by these values – recently updated through our strategic planning process: Racial and Social Justice, Collective Liberation, Solidarity, Community Sovereignty and Ecological Health.
SAMPLE EMAIL INVITATION
NOTE: If you paid up front, you can delete the paragraph about tickets and paste the rest of the invitation below. Personalize as you wish!
I am planning to host a virtual ‘table’ at the 15th Annual SLEE! Gala on Saturday, October 9th, 2021, and invite you to join me!
The Strengthening Local Economies Everywhere (SLEE!) Gala is an annual community event and fundraiser benefiting Community Alliance for Global Justice (CAGJ). Founded by organizers of the 1999 WTO protests, CAGJ is marking its 20th anniversary this year!
This event – which will be held virtually this year due to Covid – is a great chance to meet fellow activists, organizations, farmers, and food workers who are passionate about food justice, Fair Trade, and supporting local economies! SLEE also features ways to take action, as well as an online Silent Auction full of fabulous offerings from favorite local businesses and community members.
Community Alliance for Global Justice’s 15th Annual SLEE! Gala
Saturday, October 9th, 2021
CAGJ will hold this event virtually
CAGJ Presentation and Keynote 6 – 7:30PM PST
CAGJ is celebrating its 20th year with this year’s keynote speaker, Raj Patel! A seasoned trade and food activist, academic, author, film-maker and podcast host, Patel delivers ever-salient and inspiring perspectives on food systems transformation. From working for the WTO to protesting the WTO, to authoring award-winning books, to co-creating a forthcoming global storytelling documentary, Patel disrupts the status quo so that we can all plant seeds for a just food revolution. Learn more about his work.
Tickets are offered on a $40 – $100 sliding scale. You can purchase your tickets on Accelevants and make sure to include my name as your Table Captain when you are prompted. You are also invited to donate an additional ticket to make it possible for a farmer or food worker to join us at the gala as an honored guest!
Please let me know if you will be able to join me on October 9th to celebrate 20 years of food justice organizing.
Please check back here for the most up-to-date information about being a Table Captain for virtual SLEE.
THANK YOU for all your hard work and commitment! Being a Table Captain is a powerful opportunity to bring your communities into the movement for food sovereignty and one of the most important ways we build our base throughout the year. We are so grateful for your support!